WELCOME TO MY HEALTHY LIVING BLOG

Welcome to my ever-expanding blog site. I trust you are enjoying your day. I invite you to browse the site, read the articles and enjoy my photography. Your opinion counts, so please leave a comment at the end of the posts. If you enjoy reading these blogs, feel free to pass the link on to any friends you think would also enjoy it.

The purpose of this blog site is 3-fold: a place for sharing general information, a place to share about spiritual matters that will help move us toward a healthier inner life and a place where I can talk about my business and the products that can help us experience better health. Note: This section, though still on the blog for you to read, is no longer relevant to me as I am no longer in business since I retired in 2010

Thank you for dropping by. I trust you will consider your visit worthwhile. This site is a 'work in progress', sometimes changing by the minute, so come back soon to see what's new on MY HEALTHY LIVING BLOG.

God bless you today and every day. Remember, "A joyful heart is good medicine" (Proverbs 17:22-NASB). Blessings and health to you and yours.

Diane

Note: Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog taken by Diane Stephenson

Sunday, September 20, 2009

WRITE!LONDON

Before you read this blog, please click here. Once you have the page loaded, begin to click on the highlighted words to see how "I made tea" is transformed, one click at a time, to an entire paragraph. Fascinating. But please don't forget to come back here!


There is actually a reason for asking you to do this. Yesterday I attended the Write!London annual writers' workshop. It was a day of learning, of fun, of fellowship and good food. Four presenters, local published authors, brought new insights into writing fiction and non-fiction during the morning sessions. After a wonderful lunch of home-made soups, a pasta casserole and ginger marmalade cake topped with whipped cream, we changed the order of things. Time was given to meet with the presenter of choice to ask questions, have them read some new writing excerpt, etc.

Next on the agenda was a word game. You've guessed it. Attendees at one table were given a piece of paper with the words "I made tea" at the top. We were challenged to expand it into a paragraph. Those at the other table were given the expanded version and asked to condense it to 'bare bones' length. When we were finished, we were told about the web site, though the web address was not given out. I Googled it before I began writing this to see for myself exactly what it was all about and so I could share it with you.

Very interesting exercise, don't you think? So what's the moral of the story? What one person can say in three words, another will take many more to say the same basic thing. Which did you enjoy reading most? Were you happy with three words, with knowing that basic fact that he made tea? Or would you choose rather the lengthened version with description and detail as to how the tea was made? The moral is that when we write, we need to be conscious of the words we use--the number and suitability as well as the order. Yes, it must be succinct. And it must be clear. "I made tea" is certainly that. But is it interesting? After all, who cares if he made tea unless you are there to share it with him? An author who has the ability to paint a word picture will get my vote every time. Perhaps you prefer the closed telescope version. Personally, I like the full telescopic view. 

(PS. If you didn't do it at the beginning, go back to the "I made tea" web site and click on the author's name, again one click at a time and you'll find a treasure trove of other sites and an interesting game called Bookchase.)


The photos were taken at the workshop.


No comments:

Post a Comment