WELCOME TO MY HEALTHY LIVING BLOG

Welcome to my ever-expanding blog site. I trust you are enjoying your day. I invite you to browse the site, read the articles and enjoy my photography. Your opinion counts, so please leave a comment at the end of the posts. If you enjoy reading these blogs, feel free to pass the link on to any friends you think would also enjoy it.

The purpose of this blog site is 3-fold: a place for sharing general information, a place to share about spiritual matters that will help move us toward a healthier inner life and a place where I can talk about my business and the products that can help us experience better health. Note: This section, though still on the blog for you to read, is no longer relevant to me as I am no longer in business since I retired in 2010

Thank you for dropping by. I trust you will consider your visit worthwhile. This site is a 'work in progress', sometimes changing by the minute, so come back soon to see what's new on MY HEALTHY LIVING BLOG.

God bless you today and every day. Remember, "A joyful heart is good medicine" (Proverbs 17:22-NASB). Blessings and health to you and yours.

Diane

Note: Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog taken by Diane Stephenson

Monday, September 21, 2009

HEALTHY BREAKFAST, HEALTHY DAY


As a child, I never liked breakfast. My mother would mix up a package of Carnation Instant Breakfast and I had to quickly drink it before leaving for school. As I grew older I still did not enjoy breakfast. My stomach rebelled at the thought of food. I would gladly have eaten a full-course breakfast at 10:00, but by then I was in school, and later at work. Not an option, obviously. The earlier I have to eat, the less I want to eat it.

I know. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Studies show that children concentrate much better in school after a good meal. Adults think and work better. We should all eat well before we leave home in the morning.

But early mornings are a challenge to me in more ways than breakfast. I simply do not like to get up early. Now, ask me to stay up late and I have no problem. 5:00 a.m. feels like the middle of the night, especially in winter. At midnight I'm often still wide awake. So to rise early enough to make breakfast is, well...

Something you can prepare the night before would be a mix of fruit cut up ready to eat. You can make enough for a couple of days if you like. Add a muffin and juice in the morning and you're ready to go.

Easy, nutritious and delicious breakfasts that can be eaten quickly are the best choice. One option I like in the winter months is oatmeal. And no, I don't have to get up half an hour early to cook it. I simply put it in my small slow cooker overnight and voila! It's ready to eat when I get up. And I don't make plain old porridge. I add cranberries, raisins, blueberries, sunflower seeds, other grains. I sprinkle generous amounts of cinnamon into the pot. When I dish it out I add raw buckwheat honey to taste. (Always add the honey after cooking. Otherwise you destroy some of the goodness.) If you like, you can add milk or soy beverage. I prefer it without.


(Probably most of you drink coffee, but even though it might wake you up and keep you going, it is not the best choice of beverage. Coffee if very acidic, and your body's pH needs to be slightly alkaline to be healthy.)

But my favorite breakfast is one that can be prepared in a couple of minutes in the morning. A banana, some cantaloupe, peaches, strawberries, blueberries - whatever you like best - added to plain yogurt, soy beverage and a scoop of meal replacement powder and mixed in the blender makes a drink chock full of nutrition and energy. To make it more filling, add a raw egg. If necessary, use a little raw honey as a sweetener. Vary the fruit from day to day, and you have a menu for the week.You can also use fruit juice instead of milk. Delicious!

Another quick but nourishing meal is a slice of whole-grain toast, peanut butter and banana with a glass of soy beverage.

Mmm... I'm getting hungry! Too bad it's bedtime instead of breakfast time.

No comments:

Post a Comment