WELCOME TO MY HEALTHY LIVING BLOG

Welcome to my ever-expanding blog site. I trust you are enjoying your day. I invite you to browse the site, read the articles and enjoy my photography. Your opinion counts, so please leave a comment at the end of the posts. If you enjoy reading these blogs, feel free to pass the link on to any friends you think would also enjoy it.

The purpose of this blog site is 3-fold: a place for sharing general information, a place to share about spiritual matters that will help move us toward a healthier inner life and a place where I can talk about my business and the products that can help us experience better health. Note: This section, though still on the blog for you to read, is no longer relevant to me as I am no longer in business since I retired in 2010

Thank you for dropping by. I trust you will consider your visit worthwhile. This site is a 'work in progress', sometimes changing by the minute, so come back soon to see what's new on MY HEALTHY LIVING BLOG.

God bless you today and every day. Remember, "A joyful heart is good medicine" (Proverbs 17:22-NASB). Blessings and health to you and yours.

Diane

Note: Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog taken by Diane Stephenson

Monday, September 7, 2009

PULLING OUR CHAINS

The Granddaughter Clock

In my possession is a beautiful hand-crafted replica of an early 20th century granddaughter clock. The elderly gentleman who made it would visit flea markets or antique shops looking for old hand tools which his son would sharpen and recondition to perform as they once had.

This gentleman was a true craftsman. In his eighties when he made this clock, he worked with care and love in a little shop at the back of his yard. I met him when I had a booth at one of the markets he used to frequent. He bought a couple of my father's old tools and would stand to chat for a few minutes about his clocks.

One day he asked me if I would like one of his granddaughter clocks--no charge! Naturally I said an enthusiastic 'yes'. A few months went by and I forgot about that conversation. Then came the phone call. My clock was finished and ready to be picked up. He told me to bring something to wrap it in for protection on the way home.

I had never heard of a granddaughter clock and had no idea of what it was. In my mind I was visualizing a clock similar in size to a mantel clock. Great was my surprise to discover that this clock just barely fit in the back seat of my car!

 The wood feels like satin. This clock has a quartz movement so does not have to be wound like an original clock, but is nonetheless a wonderful piece of workmanship and has given me a great deal of pleasure.


The Grandmother Clock

Months later this gentleman again called me. He needed a square clock face for his 1700s grandmother clock replica. Could I do the artwork? Of course I agreed. When I called to tell him it was ready, he asked if I had room for one of these clocks. My answer? "I'll make room!"

Would you believe this man actually wanted to pay me for the artwork? Two beautiful clocks he gave me! How could I accept payment for a couple hours of 'work'? I cannot imagine how many hours he spent creating his pieces of art, cutting, carving, fitting, sanding, staining, applying the final coat of varethane, all without the use of power tools. I refused payment, but he was determined, and so purchased something from me that I am certain he had no use for. 

This clock is over six feet tall. I was certain I would have to ask someone with a van to go with me to pick it up, but this gentleman had made the clock in three sections which, when put together, look like one continuous piece of furniture. But this clock is different not only in size and appearance. This clock has a pendulum and a bell rings on the hour and half-hour. Evidently chimes had not come into use in clocks in the 1700s. The delicate sound is beautiful.

The weights are old window weights. He fashioned the pendulum from some piece of metal. The movement he purchased from a company in Germany. No detail was left out. No pains were spared as he created his masterpiece. 

Pulling the Chains

In order to wind this clock, you must pull the chains on which the weights hang. This must be done every two days to keep the clock going. The problem is that I forget to pull the chains and the clock stops. After a couple of days, sometimes longer, I realize I have not heard the bell ring for a while, and I once again pull the chains.

Do you ever need someone to pull your chains? Are you like me, sometimes a little sluggish, not very productive? I need someone to pull my chains, to get me working again. I believe we all need that sometimes. If you don't have an encourager in your life to do this, I urge you to find someone who will be faithful to do this in a loving and gentle way. At times we need a push, at times we need a hand to help us up to a higher level. But sometimes all we need is a friend to pull our chains. We start steadily ticking again, the bells will ring out and we are back on track running the race for healthy living.

This man was truly an example to all of us. He kept his chains pulled and spent his 'spare' time creating beauty for others to enjoy. I don't know if he is still alive, but I will never forget his generosity and his love of craft. Every time I check the time, I see him in his workshop, trailed by his Welsh corgi.

So, let's keep our chains pulled, our clocks ticking and our bells ringing out as we allow something of beauty to be created in our lives that will bring pleasure into the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment