WELCOME TO MY HEALTHY LIVING BLOG

Welcome to my ever-expanding blog site. I trust you are enjoying your day. I invite you to browse the site, read the articles and enjoy my photography. Your opinion counts, so please leave a comment at the end of the posts. If you enjoy reading these blogs, feel free to pass the link on to any friends you think would also enjoy it.

The purpose of this blog site is 3-fold: a place for sharing general information, a place to share about spiritual matters that will help move us toward a healthier inner life and a place where I can talk about my business and the products that can help us experience better health. Note: This section, though still on the blog for you to read, is no longer relevant to me as I am no longer in business since I retired in 2010

Thank you for dropping by. I trust you will consider your visit worthwhile. This site is a 'work in progress', sometimes changing by the minute, so come back soon to see what's new on MY HEALTHY LIVING BLOG.

God bless you today and every day. Remember, "A joyful heart is good medicine" (Proverbs 17:22-NASB). Blessings and health to you and yours.

Diane

Note: Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog taken by Diane Stephenson

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MUSIC AND HEALTHY LIVING

Can you imagine a world devoid of music? No silver tones of piccolo, no resounding of bass drum, no harmony of bow on violin strings taut with melody, no crashing of cymbals, no mellow crooning of saxophone, strumming of guitar strings or resonant echos from nimble fingers on piano keys, no tinkling chimes, no reverberating notes from pipe organ, no voice of singers pouring out lilting lyrics from the song in their hearts.

I believe that music is an essential part of healthy living, a form of therapy to help troubled minds, used in stress management and listened to simply for pure enjoyment and relaxation. Music can alleviate emotional suffering, bring comfort to grieving hearts. Music can lull babies to sleep. It has the power to change the direction of our thoughts, to bring joy in times of depression, to soothe aching hearts, to calm the troubled waters in our lives, even refresh memories of times long past. The angels sing around God's throne in divine melody that echoes throughout eternity. Music is a divine elixir to needy souls, causing us to ascend out of the mundane into heavenly realms.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
---Berthold Auerbach (1812-1882)---

But what is music to you may not be music to me; what is music to me may not be music to another generation. Personally I am blessed most by listening to instrumental classical music, the music of Chopin, Mozart, Handel. I am lost in Fuer Elise (music pictured above) by Beethoven as I play it on the piano, and a violin rendition of Meditation from Thais by Jules Massanet causes my spirit to soar.

I recall being asked years ago by my pastor to accompany him on the piano during his violin solo of Meditation. We had no practice together until we actually performed it in church, but it was a wonderful experience akin to worship. If you would like to hear this music on YouTube, click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhKkjIC2SWk&NR=1 If classical music is not your forte, I would ask you to 'hear' this with your spirit rather than your mind. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Then there is a so-called music that is no music at all, composed of harsh noise, commotion, disturbance, confusion, distraction, evil words and can lead to evil thoughts and deeds of violence. This is the devil's 'music'. He is the great impostor, the perpetrator of everything ungldly, and has deceived many into believing that what he has to offer is good. It's our choice what we listen to. My choice is music composed by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit whether classical, gospel, old-time hymns or whatever brings peace, joy, encouragement, worship.

He, the Creator God, has created His children to imitate Him--to create. Music is part of this creative ability bestowed on humanity. And music will follow us into the courts of heaven itself. We will sing praises to the God of our salvation throughout eternity. What a blessed heritage we have!

Music! I thank God for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment